Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Steal A Player - NFC

Here’s a little exercise to pass the time between now and the start of training camps. I’m going to steal a player from each NFC team to help the Minnesota Vikings. For the most part, I’m looking for a player that fills one of the Vikings biggest needs. Most of those needs are on the defense as that entire unit is pretty much an unknown. While I like the current progression of the offensive line, there’s room for improvement on the interior. The tackles are good. It’s time to steal some players from the NFC teams.

Green Bay Packers
Kenny Clark, DT
It’s tempting to steal Jaire Alexander but I’ll go with an impact player on the defensive line. It feels like Kenny Clark has been covering the Packers interior defensive line for about a decade. He’s still only 27. He can be a problem for offensive lines anywhere between the tackles. 

Detroit Lions
Frank Ragnow, C
I was hoping for Frank Ragnow in the 2018 NFL Draft. The Lions were picking at 20. The Vikings were picking at 30. It wasn’t meant to be. Garrett Bradbury finally showed promise last season. Ragnow has been one of the league’s best centers since his rookie season. 

Chicago Bears
Tremaine Edmunds, LB
He was out of the Vikings free agency price range but I was kinda hoping for Tremaine Edmunds signing this offseason. I think that he would pair quite nicely with Brian Asamoah in the middle of the Vikings defense.

New York Giants
Dexter Lawrence, DT
It’s between Dexter Lawrence and Leonard Williams. I’ll go with the big guy in the middle. He was a menace in the Vikings playoff game with the Giants. It’d be nice to have him on the Vikings. 

Philadelphia Eagles
Jalen Hurts, QB
I was trying to avoid quarterbacks with this exercise. There are a few in the league that are exceptions. Jalen Hurts showed last year that he might be one of those exceptions. I’d still like to see him do it again but I’ve liked Hurts since his college days. 

Washington Commanders
Chase Young, Edge
I’d steal any of the defensive linemen from the Commanders roster. Daron Payne, Jonathan Allen, Chase Young, and Montez Sweat. That’s a real strong group. The easy choice is one of the interior guys, Payne and Allen. They’re proven. They dominate. Injuries have kept Young from reaching his immense pass rush potential. I’m gambling on that potential. 

Dallas Cowboys
Micah Parsons, LB
This one doesn’t need much thought or explanation.

Atlanta Falcons
Bijan Robinson, RB
I’ll steal the rookie running back. The Vikings have a stable of running backs. Bijan Robinson is simply a different sort of running back. 

Carolina Panthers
Brian Burns, Edge
It’s not as easy a choice as stealing Micah Parsons but stealing Brian Burns from the Panthers is an easy choice. 

New Orleans Saints
Cameron Jordan, Edge
He might be inching toward the end of his career but it’d be real fun to have Cameron Jordan for a few seasons. He’s one of my favorite Cal players of the past couple decades. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Vita Vea, DT
Through this little exercise, it’s clear that I’d like to improve the middle of the Vikings defense. Vita Vea is a tremendous presence in the middle of a defense. 

Arizona Cardinals
Isaiah Simmons, LB/DB
I’m not sure where Isaiah Simmons would play on the Vikings defense but it sure would be fun to find out. 

Los Angeles Rams
Aaron Donald, DT
It’s gotta be Aaron Donald. 

San Francisco 49ers
Christian McCaffrey, RB
For the same reason I stole Bijan Robinson, I’m stealing Christian McCaffrey. I think that the Vikings will be fine at running back but McCaffrey is simply a different sort of running back. 

Seattle Seahawks
Jordyn Brooks, LB
It was tempting to go with rookie cornerback Devon Witherspoon. I’ll go with the proven linebacker to pair with Brian Asamoah.




No comments:

Post a Comment