Sunday, August 1, 2021

Remembering Korey Stringer

Minnesota Vikings training camp always brings excitement for a new season. When July turns to August it's like hitting a wall. My breath is taken away. The excitement turns to frustration. It's been that way since 2001. That's when Korey Stringer gave more than he had in the Mankato heat.

The internet wasn't what it is at the turn of the century. As a Vikings fan in California it was tough to gather updates as Stringer fought for his life. I knew that he was taken from practice to the hospital in serious condition. I went through the "no news is good news" process until there was news. Big K was gone.

I learned a lot about my passion for the Vikings that day. Korey Stringer's death hit me like I'd lost a loved one. I had. It's the only way to explain how I've felt every August 1 since, and many days in between. The players and coaches that populate the history of this damn team become family to me as soon as they put on the purple. They've always been more than people on a football field or faces on a card. I hadn't realized those feelings until one of them was taken far too soon. Some might think that an odd way to feel about people one has never met but I don't really care. Sometimes you just can't control how you feel.

On this day, I always remember the heart-wrenching press conference with Cris Carter, Randy Moss, and Dennis Green. Even in memory, Moss breaks me every single time. I also think of the beautiful article written by Chris Mortensen.

And I always think of Kelci and Kodie. The people that truly lost a loved one.

Every time I see #77 in video clips it brings great joy. Sometimes I watch highlights of the incredible 1998 season just to see Stringer. He's alive again even if it's only for a few moments. As long as people that miss him remember him, he'll always live. That's why I'll always remember Korey Stringer. Unfortunately, when July turns to August it's far easier to remember that sad day than his wonderful life. This day will always be hard. But, I'll always remember. 

RIP Big K

No comments:

Post a Comment