Friday, February 19, 2021

Minnesota Vikings 7-Round Mock Draft

The Athletic’s Chad Graff posted a seven-round mock draft earlier this week. At first, I found it suspect. Then I liked it. Here it is.

1. (14) Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama
3. (79) Dillon Radunz, OT, North Dakota State
3. (91) Dayo Odeyingbo, Edge, Vanderbilt
4. Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse
4. Royce Newman, OG, Mississippi
4. Cade Johnson, WR, South Dakota State
5. Amen Ogbongbemiga, LB, Oklahoma State
5. Benjamin St-Juste, CB, Minnesota
6. Ian Book, QB, Notre Dame
7. Cary Angeline, TE, North Carolina State

When I initially scanned through these picks I missed the selection of Dillon Radunz. Not seeing offensive line addressed until the fourth round felt problematic. When I finally noticed the selection of DIllon Radunz I liked this mock. I liked it a lot. Much of my early focus on the Vikings picks in the 2020 NFL Draft has been in adding the most promising combination of offensive and defensive tackle talent. Christian Barmore and Dillon Radunz works. Due to the high end left tackle talent at the top of the draft, I’m currently favoring offensive tackle in the first and defensive tackle in the third or fourth. My current go to: 

1. Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
3. Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh 

The dream combo is the two Christians, Darrisaw and Barmore, but that is far too dreamy. Both will be gone before the draft gets to the 20th pick. Barmore could be the next coming of Kevin Williams. That’s enticing enough to pull me away from favoring offensive tackle in the first. Anyway, Barmore and Radunz would be an excellent start to the draft. 

After offensive and defensive tackle, safety is probably the Vikings biggest need. Andre Cisco is one of my favorites in this draft. I don’t enough about the draft’s edge rushers to properly judge the selection of Dayo Odeyingbo. He certainly fits the physical model favored by Mike Zimmer and his coaches. 

Simply for the impact on Vikings radio voice Paul Allen, I love the picks of Dayo Odeyingbo and Amen Ogbongbemiga. 

I really like the Day 3 picks of Cade Johnson and Benjamin St-Juste. 

Ian Book. I like the selection of another developmental quarterback. Chad Graff mentions Texas’ Sam Ehlinger as another possibility. I presently prefer Ehlinger. 

The Vikings could receive as many as four compensatory picks (Over the Cap projects four). That would result in a projected haul of 14 draft picks. Rick Spielman often trades picks to gain picks. He doesn’t have to do that this year. I see him using the picks to move up in the draft. I especially see him getting into the second round, I can’t imagine Spielman sitting out an entire early round. 

I might need to take a swing at a seven-round mock. Chad Graff is an inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment