Thursday, July 30, 2020

NFL Top 100: 10-1

It's finally here! The Top 10 Players in the NFL as voted on by the players of the NFL. NFL Network aired the final two episodes of the Top 100 Players of 2020 last night. In those two episodes the Top 10 Players in the NFL were revealed.

10. Derrick Henry, RB, Tennessee Titans
  9. Stephon Gilmore, CB, New England Patriots
  8. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Arizona Cardinals
  7. George Kittle, TE, San Francisco 49ers
  6. Christian McCaffrey, RB, Carolina Panthers
  5. Michael Thomas, WR, New Orleans Saints
  4. Patrick Mahomes, QB, Kansas City Chiefs
  3. Aaron Donald, DT, Los Angeles Rams
  2. Russell Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks
  1. Lamar Jackson, QB, Baltimore Ravens

With Derrick Henry and Christian McCaffrey reaching Top 10 heights perhaps the running back isn't dead in the NFL. With two apiece, running backs even matched receivers in the Top 10.

While expected, defense is underrepresented with only two players. Chandler Jones is one defender that could've/should've been included been in the Top 10.

George Kittle probably had the best, most fun, highlight clip of the entire NFL Top 100 list. In preparation fun for the 2017 NFL Draft I had Kittle as my third or fourth round pick in every single one of my Minnesota Vikings mock drafts. I still don't understand how he made it to the fifth round.

I don't think that there's a single person that follows the NFL in the slightest that sees Patrick Mahomes as the third best quarterback in the league.

But this is the player's list. They voted on it.

I don't really understand the people that get a bellyache over this list. It's fun. The reveals are fun. The best part of the player reveals is the commentary. I don't even think that it matters where the players place on the list as long as they are on the list. Sure, I'd love to see a load of Vikings scattered throughout the top of the rankings. It'd probably be a refection of a terrific season. They had five players on this year's list. Six, if you count the sadly departed Stefon Diggs. While I think that Anthony Harris should've made it, five feels about right.

Speaking of the commentary, Darius Slay was this year's star.

The NFL Top 100 is also a fun lead-up to the start of a new season. Perhaps it's a recency thing but I think that I prefer jamming the episodes into a handful of days. That wasn't the case when it was trotted out last season. I had grown so accustomed to the multi-month reveals. The first episode aired soon after the draft and ran into July. A weekly focus on only ten reveals was nice but ten weeks can start to feel a little long. Three episodes a night for three nights is a little much but it allows for the Top 10 to have it's own night. Maybe one episode a night for nine nights and a two episode finale on the tenth night. I don't know. I do know that I'm starting to think that shorter might be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment