Wednesday, January 29, 2020

RIP Chris Doleman

I woke this morning to the sad news that Chris Doleman has passed away after a two-year fight with brain cancer. I'm numb. I thought/hoped that he'd made a turn for the better in hitting his two-year anniversary as a brain cancer survivor.

 
Today is my 2 year anniversary of being a brain cancer survivor! Huge!


Doleman underwent surgery to remove a brain tumor in 2018. He still made it to Canton that August for the 2018 Pro Football Hall of Inductions. It was Randy Moss' year and there was a significant Vikings presence. I had the opportunity to meet and chat with him. He and his wife truly appreciated and were fueled by the support of the fans. I visited with him again this past summer in Canton. It was amazing that despite all that he was fighting that he still made the annual trip to Canton for the Hall of Fame inductions. He seemed stronger than the year before. I truly believed that he was going to beat this damn disease. Just like he beat Anthony Munoz on a 1989 Christmas night. That's why this is so stunning. I thought that Doleman was getting better. I thought that there'd be many more Cantons. Perhaps it was really just hope that he was getting better.

The Minnesota Vikings released a statement:

The Minnesota Vikings express our deepest sympathies to Chris Doleman's family and friends upon his passing. Chris was a great example for players past and present, as he embodied all the best characteristics of a Viking – resilience, toughness and a competitive spirit. Chris always carried himself with dignity and class. Vikings fans worldwide will greatly miss him. - The Minnesota Vikings and the Wilf family

Football has lost one of the best to ever play the game. I'm so thankful that I had a couple brief moments to meet Chris Doleman. His memory will always be alive with me and in Canton. My condolences to his wife, family, and friends on their tremendous loss.








No comments:

Post a Comment