Thursday, June 26, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Talking Football

There are so many great quotes from the football world. Here are a few of them:

"A good coach needs a patient wife, a loyal dog, and a great quarterback, but not necessarily in that order."
     -Bud Grant

"I also worked as a ranger in Yellowstone Park until visitors began to mistake me for a bear."
    -Merlin Olsen

"I tell myself that I'm faster than 95 percent of the people in the world. It's just that the other 5 percent happen to play cornerback."
     -George Sauer Jr.

"I wish there was a Caribbean League in football like they have in baseball. Then I could play all year."
     -John Unitas

Everyone has some fear. A man without fear belongs in a mental institution-or on special teams, either one."
     -Walt Michaels

"Every coach must view a player with three different eyes."
     -Joe Kuharich

"Some of the players now-I'm not sure whether football is a vocation or an avocation with them. You know what football is to me? It's blood."
     -Sid Gillman

"You can accomplish anything you want as long as you don't care who gets credit for it."
     -Blanton Collier

"I have a spy in every city."
     -Al Davis

"You show me a man who shoots a good game of golf and I'll bet he neglects his business, or someone does his work for him. I don't have time for golf."
     -Weeb Ewbank

"Trading for a good quarterback is quite rare but not unusual."
     -Joe Kuharich

"He drinks papaya juice to calm his queasy stomach, and eats ice cream so he doesn't have to spend time chewing. It would take his mind off football."
     -Henrietta Allen on husband George

"A coach just isn't treated that well. The respect is lacking, unless they do fantastically well, and only a small percentage of them really do. Some of the finest coaches in the country go through their whole careers unnoticed and unrecognized, just because they happen to be in the wrong place. A few of them even got hanged in effigy."
     -Merlin Olsen

"When Weeb first came to New York, he gave us a playbook; we'd been without one for years. It's a sensible sort of thing for a professional football player to have."
     -Larry Grantham

Another gem from Kuharich:
"We were three points behind but that's not the same as being even."

"I played football before they had headgear, and that's how I lost my mind."
     -Casey Stengel




No comments:

Post a Comment