Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Happy Birthday NFL Network

Well, it was actually yesterday.

On November 4, 2003, the National Football League launched their own programming with the NFL Network. "When All You Want is Football" has been their slogan and it's what they've always provided. Despite my passion for football, I was a little slow to adopt NFL Network. I thought that it was ridiculous to debut this programming in the middle of the season. I never really understood the thinking behind that. I guess that I forgot that there's no end to the football season. So, there's no right time to start an all-football network. I later learned that the NFL owners voted unanimously to go forward with their own network only eight months earlier. I'm not sure the reason for the rush to start but rush they did. I thought that it showed in the early months of the programming. Once they kicked out the kinks, it was fantastic. It helps considerably that they have the incredible NFL Films as their backbone. Their productions alone, from NFL Films Presents to A Football Life, can carry an entire network. It also helps that NFL Network has terrific personalities populating their studio shows. Bringing Rich Eisen over from ESPN was a fantastic first move. I've never seen a non-athletic media personality have such a fine rapport with the athletes. He's treated as if he's one of them which I find very unique. His goofy humor is a nice perk. Mike Mayock is fantastic with the draft coverage. I really enjoy his broadcast work on Thursday Night Football as well. I learn something new from him with every game. That hasn't happened much since the early days of John Madden. Charles Davis and Charley Casserly also bring excellent draft coverage. I was disappointed when Eisen moved away from the network's news show Total Access. That disappointment ended quickly when Lindsay Rhodes, Andrew Siciliano, Scott Hanson, and others emerged as extremely capable hosts. News gatherers like Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport are excellent. Breer, in particular, was phenomenal during the ridiculous lockout of 2011. The athletes that are on the set are tremendous. Marshall Faulk, Deion Sanders, Warren Sapp, and Kurt Warner are always informative and entertaining. Michael Irvin rambles a bit but he brings the same entertainment and insight. Heath Evans and Willie McGinest are coming along nicely. It's a good, fun group. The distortion lens/fun house mirror effect that they brought out at the end of the NFL Scouting Combine coverage a few years ago was hilarious. An instant classic. It even helped Mayock loosen up some.

I hate to criticize some of the early programming because NFL Network worked out those bugs and really took off. They routinely produce outstanding football coverage. I don't watch it every every waking hour but I wouldn't mind it if I could. It's great stuff all the time. Thank you NFL Network and Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment