Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The First Guru

Everyone is a draft guru these days. If they aren't one they rely on one that claims to be. There was a day when there was only one. Mel Kiper, Jr. came from humble football beginnings. It's pretty common now for someone to turn a hobby into a business. It wasn't as common in the early '80s. It was even more rare to see it happen in football. Outside of being a fan, Mel Kiper, Jr. really had no background in football. Being a fan was all that it took. He watched every game that he could. There was no satellite television then. Cable television was just getting started. There was no youtube. His hands were tied compared to today. He did it all on his own. He created something pretty great. He created hope in every football fan that couldn't throw a pass or tackle a back. Because of Mel Kiper, Jr. there's now draft gurus everywhere.

Kiper's draft publications have been the draft bible for so many for nearly 35 years. For much of that time it was the only draft publication on the market. Now, every sports magazine seems to have one. Most suck but that's due to a lack of passion. It takes about ten seconds of viewing to see that most of these poser magazines are spewing the words of others. Maybe even the word's of Kiper. Most of these draft magazines are just thrown together knowing that many draft fans grab everything that they see. They do so for one simple reason. They absolutely can not get enough. I've always respected Kiper's work because he puts so much into it. I've read his work consistently over the years. I check his mock drafts and player profiles. I've never purchased his publications. I frequently disagree with his opinions. But, heres the thing, there is no consensus on football player projections. There never will be. People simply see different things. Five people can report on the performance of a player's Senior Bowl practice and you'll hear five wildly different, even opposing, views. It's pretty crazy. I really like Mike Mayock, Charles Davis, and several of the other NFL Network draft guys but I don't always agree with them. I watch the draft on the league's network because I prefer the personalities there. Despite my somewhat frequent disagreements with Kiper, he's the only personality that I miss from ESPN's coverage. His hair is remarkable. Still.

I've heard rumors that Kiper's publications are coming to an end. ESPN is apparently demanding more of his time. He could have others do the leg work to keep his "draft bible" running. With his name, it would sell. My guess is that he if he can't do the work that those little books require he won't do them at all. I respect that as I've always respected his work. For the first time, I purchased his draft publication. Every year, for over 30 years, I've debated buying his publications. I just never have. I guess that the thought of it coming to end made it seem like the thing to do now. I look forward to reading his little blue book. I'll watch the NFL Draft on NFL Network but Mel Kiper, Jr. will be there by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment