Friday, November 25, 2011

Game Day Bits

I didn't even know that the NBA players were locked out.

It really sucks that the Minnesota Vikings are out of the playoff excitement this early in the season but its kinda fun to be more of a passive observer of the rest of the NFL the rest of the way.

I may be in the minority but I like defensive battles like the Ravens-49ers Thanksgiving game. High scoring affairs are often sloppy football games. I really enjoy good defensvie games with solid football from both teams.

Deion Sanders describing LeGarrette Blount's incredible run, "Six people trying to hit that Blount."

I like the broadcasting team of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman. Buck calls a good game and Aikman presents his knowledge of the game very well. They work well together. Both are great in interviews and on podcasts. Buck is actually very funny. He's long been a friend of actor Paul Rudd. When the two have been together on Rich Eisen's podcast, its hilarious. I still can't forget Buck's ridiculous overreaction to Randy Moss' fake mooning at Lambeau in the 2004 playoffs.

Speaking of announcers, RIP University of Georgia's Larry Munson. I may not have heard many of his play calls but I sure remeber the plays. Buck Belue to Lindsay Scott. Bunch of Herschel Walker.

During the Thanksgiving game, I liked seeing Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers give thanks for the blockers in front of him. Linemen never get enough credit.

Welcome back Kevin Smith. It was nice to see the Detroit Lions runningback finally return to the game, in a big way, last week. Injured Thanksgiving. Poor guy catches no breaks.

Ndamukong Suh is an idiot.

I love college rivalry games. Cal-Stanford is clearly the best. Army-Navy is special. Michigan-Ohio St, Alabama-Auburn, Oregon-Oregon St, Harvard-Yale, oh my.

Zach Maynard and Cal's offense has really come alive. Unfortunately its about two months late. Maybe they actually do deserve a bowl game. If nothing else, the recent progress shows promise for a better year next year.

I've been surprised at Arkansas' run up the college rankings to #3 this week a year after quarterback Ryan Mallet. It reminds of Tennessee in the late '90s. They end short of their goal all four years with Peyton Manning. Tennessee then wins the national title the year after with Tee Martin at quarterback. I'm not sure exactly what that shows outside of football being a team sport. A great quarterback might give a team a shot in any game but it never guarantees a thing.

I tried to watch the Iowa-Nebraska game to catch a glimpse of the Hawkeyes excellent tackle Riley Reiff. The Vikings need offensive line help. It proved fruitless as Iowa never seemed to have the ball.

USC tackle Matt Kalil, Stanford tackle Jonathan Martin and Oklahoma St receiver Justin Blackmon are my top choices for the Vikings right now. With the way things are going the Vikings are looking at a top 3 pick. One, if not all, should be available. There are a couple cornerbacks in the mix too. Its sad that I'm thinking draft in November.

I think that the puffed up stats of former Houston Cougar quarterback and Heisman winner Andre Ware kills any chance of current Cougar Case Keenum winning the award.

Stanford should burn those uniforms as soon as they can.

Go Vikings!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment