Saturday, November 19, 2011

Game Day Bits

31-28 Stanford. I figured that Cal needed a perfect game to beat Stanford. They didn't get it but they still could have won the game. It probably didn't matter, with just over ten seconds remaining, but I wish that Giorgio Tavecchio kicked the ball more like an onside kick and less like a free kick in soccer. It was quite possibly the worst onside kick attempt that I've ever seen. I just don't like Stanford having the axe. It doesn't feel right.

If the officials are going to protect Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck like they did, they should have protected Cal quarterback Zach Maynard the same. Maynard may not have the football future of Luck but they play the same game now.

Cal has super weapons at receiver with Keenan Allen and Marvin Jones. They have routinely ignored another in tight end Anthony Miller. I really don't understand his severe lack of opportunities. He's an impact player and will be in the NFL.

NFL stuff:

Minnesota Vikings' linebacker Chad Greenway has long been an avid hunter. It was a natural growing up in South Dakota. When asked about his most unusual hunting experience, he mentioned sidearm hunting coyotes on a snowmobile. Just to be clear, Greenway was riding the snowmobile and not the coyotes. Not really knowing much about hunting I was more than a little surprised by this activity.

Since 2000, the Cleveland Browns have been 3-6 after nine games eight times.

Buffalo Bills' running back Fred Jackson is upset that his wife didn't take him until the fifth round in her fantasy draft: "If she was in some kind of draft and I waited until the fifth round to take her, I would never hear the end of it."
I can understand Jackson's thinking but he should admire the shrewd drafting of his wife. Fred jackson is an incredible value pick in the fifth round.

Some Green Bay Packers players are moaning about receiver Jordy Nelson being underestimated because he's white. I think they're nuts. I'm not sure who they think is underestimating Nelson but I've never heard anything but glowing remarks since he was at Kansas St. He was a second round pick so he certainly wasn't slighted in the draft despite the color of his skin. He's on a team that is loaded with offensive playmakers. If he's concern #4 after Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings and Jermichael Finley for opponents, I don't really see that as underestimated. This Packers team has impressed me in how little they worry about how they are viewed. I don't understand why they would change that now.

More college stuff:

It was fun watching the Harvard-Yale game yesterday. I was hoping that Yale would prevail seeing as quarterback Patrick Witt passed up a Rhodes Scholarship interview for the game.

I'm at a loss to understand Alabama-Georgia Southern in November.

I don't think that anyone wants to win the Pac-12 South division. The new conference championship game just match Oregon and Stanford again and be done with it.

Its interesting that Cal running backs coach Ron Gould has longer tenure at Cal than head coach Jeff Tedford. Usually a new coach brings in his own people but Tedford saw what he had in Gould. From 1000 yard rushers to NFL draft picks, Cal has had a very nice parade of running backs. Ron Gould is a big reason for the running game success.

I'm not sure what happened with Oklahoma St, Oregon, Oklahoma and Clemson. Cal almost put Stanford right there with them. This week was a bad week to be a top 10 team.

No comments:

Post a Comment