Thursday, May 2, 2024

Favorite Draft Picks: NFC

Here are some of my favorite draft picks of the NFC teams.

Minnesota Vikings
1. J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan
It’s gotta be the quarterback. I’ve grown so damn tired of the Vikings settling for quarterbacks. Finally, they aggressively sought to draft a talented quarterback. Now, J.J. McCarthy has to develop into the team’s first franchise quarterback since Fran Tarkenton retired after the 1978 season.

Chicago Bears
1. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
In a draft filled with talented receivers, Rome Odunze emerged as my favorite. It’s a shame he ended up in Chicago. 

Detroit Lions
1. Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama
2. Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB, Missouri
The Detroit Lions secondary was a mess last year. They clearly wanted to remedy that situation in this draft. Terrion Arnold and Ennis Rakestraw Jr. are two of the best five best players on the Lions defense and they haven’t played a snap. 

Green Bay Packers
7. Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane
The Packers selected their quarterback of the future in the seventh round.

New York Giants
3. Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
Andru Phillips was one of the corners I hoped would find his way to Minnesota. Unfortunately, the Vikings didn’t have a Day 2 pick.

Dallas Cowboys
3. Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State
Cooper Beebe was another player I hoped would be selected by the Vikings. Again, no Day 2 pick made that difficult.

Washington Commanders
2. Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan
Between Johnny Newton and Mike Sainristril, the Commanders selected two of my favorite players in the entire draft. I’ll go with Sainristril as my favorite. It won’t be long until he was one of the better nickel corners in the league. 

Philadelphia Eagles
1. Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo
When the Vikings traded from #23 to #17 in the first round, I wouldn’t have been disappointed if it was for Quinyon Mitchell. I prefer Dallas Turner but I wouldn’t have been disappointed if Mitchell was the target. With transferring to bigger schools being all the rage in college football, Mitchell showed loyalty to Toledo. Sticking with the smaller school did nothing to hinder his NFL projection. He was the top corner in the draft. 

Atlanta Falcons
1. Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington
I like Michael Penix Jr. but he’s the pick simply because his selection came just over a month after the Falcons gave Kirk Cousins a bunch of money. Cousins left Minnesota partly because the Vikings were honest with him about adding a quarterback early in this draft. The Falcons weren’t honest with him. I think that’s hilarious.

New Orleans Saints
5. Bub Means, WR, Pittsburgh
It’s easy to like a receiver, or any player, named Bub. As for his football potential, Bub Means was a receiver I hoped the Vikings might consider later in the draft.

Carolina Panthers
1. Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina
The Panthers finally decided to draft a talented receiver for last year’s #1 pick, Bryce Young. I wasn’t convinced that Jonathan Mingo was that player last year. I’m more convinced that Xavier Legette is that player this year. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1. Graham Barton, C, Duke
I liked Graham Barton before the draft and I like him now because he has the versatility to play anywhere on the offensive line. Very few players can do that. He’s projected to play on the interior. 

San Francisco 49ers
2. Renardo Green, CB, Florida State
The 49ers selected a few players that I really liked. Despite my fondness for receivers Ricky Pearsall and Jacob Cowing, I’m going with the feisty cornerback from Florida State, Renardo Green. 

Seattle Seahawks
1. Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas
This one’s easy. Byron Murphy II was one of my favorite players in the draft. If the Vikings didn’t need to address their quarterback situation, Murphy probably would’ve been the pick at #11. 

Los Angeles Rams
3. Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
From following J.J. McCarthy somewhat closely the past couple seasons, it was easy to fall for Blake Corum. He’s a fun runner. 

Arizona Cardinals
Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State
Marvin Harrison Jr. edges out Missouri defensive lineman Darius Robinson. Rome Odunze might’ve been my favorite receiver in this draft but Harrison wasn’t far behind. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment