Sunday, July 7, 2024

Devastated

Yesterday brought the devastating news that Minnesota Vikings cornerback Khyree Jackson had died early that morning in a three-car cash. Two of his high school teammates also died in the crash. Three young friends were taken way too soon. 

All day, I thought about this terrible loss. All day, I thought about one thing going differently in the evening of these three young men. One thing that might’ve kept them from ending up at that place at that tragic moment. It’s terrible and pointless thinking but I couldn’t help myself. It’s also terrible to think about Jackson’s always-present smile being part of this world on Friday and not being here today. 

When Korey Stringer tragically passed in 2001, I learned that the loss of someone I’ve never met can hurt as much as losing someone close. I hoped that I’d never experience that again. Then Saturday happened. This can’t have happened. This shouldn’t have happened. 

Vikings fans usually can’t agree on anything. There was near-universal delirium over a 2024 NFL Draft that brought quarterback J.J. McCarthy and linebacker Dallas Turner. That was the wonderful haul of the first round and it helped ease the frustration of not having a pick on the second night. The Vikings didn’t pick again until the fourth round. That’s where they lucked into Khyree Jackson. Because of his circuitous football path and single college season as a full-time starter, he was a cornerback on the rise. Because of his obvious talent, I was certain that he’d be selected in the first three rounds. It wasn’t possible that he’d be available to the Vikings. I had flown to Minnesota on Friday for a draft party on Saturday. I was in a Lyft car a handful of miles from US Bank Stadium when I learned that Jackson was selected by the Vikings. My reaction startled my driver. The promising, franchise-changing rookie duo from the 2024 NFL Draft had become a trio. 

Everything I’ve read and seen about Khyree Jackson since the draft only convinced me further that he could be a difference-maker as early as this season. It was his ability and energy on and off the field. It was his smile. I don’t think that I ever saw him without it. It really hurts to think of all of his football potential and his personality in the past tense. I wish that I could’ve seen him play for the Vikings. 

This isn’t about me not being able to see a talented cornerback. This isn’t about the Vikings or football. This is about Khyree Jackson. This is about Isaiah Hazel. This is about Anthony Lytton Jr. This is about three lives taken way, way too soon. My condolences and thoughts are with their families, friends, teammates, and coaches. I am so sorry. 



No comments:

Post a Comment