Saturday, March 11, 2023

RIP Coach

I thought that I was going to write something about the sad release of Adam Thielen. Then I learned about the heartbreaking passing of Bud Grant. 

Harry Peter “Bud” Grant lived 95 years. It was a long, full 95 years. We should be celebrating that. Right now, that’s hard to do. I knew that I should be prepared for this day but I also knew that I never would be. There was always something so reassuring about Bud Grant’s presence. It started when he was standing, stoic on those snowy Met sidelines. With that vision, this California kid fell for the Minnesota Vikings. Those Vikings teams were other-worldly and he guided them with assured, confident silence. I never knew that a simple look could do and say so much. Despite losing four Super Bowls, it always felt like he had the answers. 

Even after his retirement, both retirements, Bud Grant provided a strong, assured presence. He was provided with an office in the team’s facility. Winter Park and TCO Performance Center. That was reassuring. He wasn’t there often and really had no role. That was reassuring as well. His presence was his role. He was usually with his family or hunting. Maybe both. That was also reassuring. Bud Grant in this world was reassuring. 

I never met the man and I already miss him so damn much. My thoughts and condolences are with his family, friends, and all Vikings and football fans. RIP Coach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment