Friday, June 8, 2018

Boo-Frickin-Hoo TO

What's eating Terrell Owens now?

Yesterday, Terrell Owens announced to the world that he's declining his invitation to attend his own induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on August 4.

"After visiting Canton earlier this year, I came to the realization I wish to celebrate what will be one of the most memorable days of my life, elsewhere. At a later date, where and when I will celebrate my induction."
     -Terrell Owens

A couple things. It's a mystery as to why a visit to Canton would trigger this reaction. Maybe there wasn't enough T.O. there. It's an even greater mystery as to why he thinks anyone would be interested in where and when he'll celebrate himself.

Owens bitched for two years about not making it to the Hall and now that he's in it he's going to be a no-show. It's unprecedented. To date, the only inductees that didn't show up in Canton to receive this tremendous honor were dead. Ken Stabler, Les Richter, Benny Friedman, Fritz Pollard waited the majority of their lives for a Hall call that never came. All four waited for the opportunity that Owens is pissing away. All four died waiting for it. The families of Lavvie Dilweg, Al Wistert, Mac Speedie, and Alex Karras are still waiting.

This little stunt is hardly a surprise to anyone that witnessed Owens' career. Everything was always about him. He's not a first-ballot receiver like Hall classmate Randy Moss. That's gotta be killing him. The best way to make it about him is to flip the narrative. He's going to get more attention not being there than he would get as one of eight new Hall of Famers. The sad thing is that all it really does is reveal Owens as the baby in retirement that he always was as a player.

When I first heard about lil T.O.'s lil tantrum I wasn't surprised. It just seemed typical of him. Then I thought about being in the audience that Canton night and I was actually somewhat happy that I won't have to listen to him. Many have complained about the speeches taking too long anyways. Then I started thinking about the players that died waiting for this honor. That got me a little hot. Then I started thinking about the people of Canton and Stark County that spend an entire year working for this one weekend. They spend the entire year making everything perfect for the returning Hall of Famers and especially the new Hall of Famers. If there's a community that handles a singular event with such joy, honor, and kindness I don't know about it. Owens is basically telling each one in that community to "piss off." "You and this little museum of yours don't matter in my T.O. world." The amazing thing is that if Owens ever grows a pair and shows up in Canton for a visit or a future Enshrinement weekend, the fine people of Canton and Stark County will welcome him as if none of this ever happened. That's just the way they are. Me? I was fuming. That's just the way I am.

I was never a fan of Owens as a player. It wasn't because he was a team cancer, a constant distraction, or one of most immature athletes I'd ever seen. It was because he had horrible hands. An NFL receiver that had a serious issue with catching a football never really sat well with me. He was routinely among the league leaders in drops. That's pathetic for a supposedly elite receiver. Even his successful catches were a challenge. His career highlights are littered with bobbles and double catches. His highlights, the best plays of his career, are mostly a tutorial on how not to catch a football. It's hilarious. I always felt that he should wait at least the six years that Cris Carter had to wait for the Hall simply because he sucked at catching a football. He's a receiver fercryingoutloud. It's what he's supposed to do.

Some thoughts from a couple of lil TO's new Hall of Fame teammates.

"Terrell isn't going to be enshrined in Canton. I'm even more excited to attend the PFHOF weekend now!!"
     -Cris Carter

"It will be his loss. Not the Hall's."
     -Tony Dungy

No comments:

Post a Comment