Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Step Closer to Canton

Last Thursday, the fifteen finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2014 were announced. Unlike the last six years, I'm pretty relaxed with this selection process. Former Minnesota Vikings receiver Cris Carter was deserving of induction in each of those six years. He finally made in the sixth, last year. That prompted my first trip to Canton and the incredible Pro Football Hall of Fame. The town, the Hall, the Induction, the festivities. It was, and is, a beautiful thing.

Last Thursday, the following fifteen took the next step to Canton:

Morten Andersen
Jerome Bettis
Derrick Brooks
Tim Brown
Edward DeBartolo
Tony Dungy
Kevin Greene
Charles Haley
Marvin Harrison
Walter Jones
John Lynch
Andre Reed
Will Shields
Michael Strahan
Aeneas Williams

If I had a vote, and I should, Derrick Brooks and Walter Jones are first ballot locks. Some consider Marvin Harrison a lock. If Cris Carter had to wait, Harrison has to wait in the receiver line as well. Andre Reed has been waiting long enough. I'd vote for Micahel Strahan. I think that one of Kevin Greene and Charles Haley makes it this year. Jerome Bettis could keep them out but Greene and Haley have been waiting for quite a while. A fistful of Super Bowl rings gets Haley in first. I cringe at the thought of his induction speech.

I think that both Senior Committee nominees Ray Guy and Claude Humphrey make it to Canton.

So, if I had a vote, and I should, the Pro Football Hall Class of 2014 would be:

Derrick Brooks
Walter Jones
Michael Strahan
Andre Reed
Charles Haley
Ray Guy
Claude Humphrey

Since my votes never count, they should, and I'm often wrong, as seen in Carter's ridiculous wait, the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014 will probably look more like this:

Derrick Brooks
Walter Jones
Jerome Bettis
Will Shields
Marvin Harrison
Claude Humphrey

We'll find out on Super Bowl Eve.


No comments:

Post a Comment