Monday, October 7, 2013

Week 5 Thoughts

The Minnesota Vikings were a little more active on Sunday than most teams on their bye. They found themselves a quarterback. They signed former Tampa Bay Buccaneers starter Josh Freeman. I saw mention that the Vikings tried to sign him to a two-year contract but Freeman only wanted to sign for the remainder of this season. He'll be a free agent in March. Finding a starting caliber quarterback available during the season is a pretty unique opportunity. The Vikings clearly decided to take advantage. Christian Ponder is currently listed as the starter but he's recovering from a fractured rib. Backup Matt Cassel started in place of Ponder a week ago. Now, Freeman is in the mix. It should take a few weeks before he's familiar with his new offense. Hopefully, competition brings the best out of someone. Despite two years more experience in the league, Freeman is only a few months older than Ponder at 25. This signing doesn't close to the door Christian Ponder. It only means that he has to work his ass off to keep his job. I really like that the Vikings decision makers decided to force this added competition at the quarterback position. The Vikings offense should be explosive. Greg Jennings is one of the best route runners and move-the-chain receivers in the league. Jerome Simpson has the speed and athletic ability to be a down the field threat. Rookie Cordarrelle Patterson could be a superstar. Tight end Kyle Rudolph has the size and hands to create mismatches across the field. Then there is the MVP, Adrian Peterson in the backfield. The Vikings are really only missing consistent quarterback play. They've been missing it for a while. I really liked Freeman in the 2009 NFL Draft. If he'd made it the Vikings pick at #22, I would have been ecstatic if he was the choice. The Buccaneers grabbed him at #17. He's had some nice moments in Tampa Bay. This season, however, has been a disaster. Hopefully, this change will do him some good. Signing Josh Freeman was a great move. If it brings the best out of Christian Ponder, great. If Freeman shows the skills that he's shown at times with Tampa Bay, great. If Cassel beats out both, great. No matter how it plays out the Vikings should be better at the most important position.

As for the games yesterday, I was away from my football headquarters. With the Vikings on bye, I had plans away from football but football was still part of my day. I had to be away but I couldn't stay away from football completlely. I had the chance to experience Sunday football the Red Zone way. I know that many fans love this hyperactive football viewing. I can understand that and I respect that. I've never chosen to view it because I knew that I wouldn't like it. It's not the way that I enjoy watching a football game. I love watching a football game. The entire game. I'm not interested in watching pieces of a bunch of games. Still, it was great to finally experience the Red Zone. If nothing else, it confirmed how I felt about this fancy new viewing. Of the morning games, I was most interested in the Seahawks-Colts game. Through Red Zone viewing, it didn't seem like the Colts ever had the ball. I'd like to have seen that. Even if it didn't result in a score. That looked like a great game. It would have been nice to see it. The Red Zone is a hit with a lot of people. Everyone that I hear speak of it speaks of it fondly. It's just not for me.

The Seahawks really need to figure out how to play on the road like the play at home. Something is missing. They lose something when they leave Seattle. They got a gift in Houston last week. They got no such gifts in Indianapolis. If they can't win on the road, they won't get home field advantage in the playoffs.

What is up with the New York Giants? They are too talented to be so bad. At least, I thought that they were talented.

The Denver Broncos-Dallas Cowboys game was a gas. Peyton Manning and Tony Romo put on a passing clinic. I saw mention in the fourth quarter that the two quarterbacks had combined for 11 incompletions. Incredible. I thought that the Cowboys had the game. If nothing else, the Broncos look merely great. They looked like they could be beaten. Except for a rocky first half in game one against the Ravens, the Broncos have looked unbeatable so far. The Cowboys got to them.

The Miami Dolphins have come back to earth.

Football Sundays are always kinda funky when the Vikings are away. I never quite know what to do. I'm glad that I finally had the opportunity to experience the Red Zone way. Despite my opinions, I can understand why many like it.

Josh Freeman....Pretty interesting....

No comments:

Post a Comment