Friday, March 8, 2013

Talking Sherman

"It's obvious that Richard's got a lot of free time on his hands. I haven't read one word that he's said. I just see the pictures with his mouth open and I know what's going on."
     -Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll

I've never much cared for Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman. That often happens when a Stanford player is viewed by someone from Cal. I was never really impressed with his play at Stanford. It didn't seem that the NFL was too impressed either seeing as he wasn't drafted until the fifth round of the 2011 Draft. Much of that lack of respect was due to Stanford shuttling him back and forth from offense to defense. He never seemed to have a position in college even though corner always seemed to be his future. When he was brutally beaten for a long touchdown in one of the college all-star games I figured that I'd probably seen the last of Richard Sherman. I was so wrong. A 6'3" corner will get a shot and Sherman took advantage of his.

He goes from Stanford to Seattle. There aren't many teams that have less appeal for me than those two. I blame Pete Carroll for half of that. Richard Sherman is one of the most chatty players in the league right now. I wish that he'd tone it down. He's a bright guy but he sure doesn't sound like it much of the time. And, he's talking a lot of the time. On the field, he's quickly become a fantastic football player but it's really pathetic of him to start ripping Darrelle Revis. Sherman needs a few more seasons before he can legitimately challenge Revis as the best corner in the league. Unfortunately, he's well on his way to doing just that. I just wish that he'd let his football do more of his talking. If Sherman has to do all this talking at least he's doing some of it for something good. He's taking his message to his hometown of Compton, CA as part of the "Excellence in Education"  Tour in partnership with "Students With a Goal" (SWAG). Sherman had a goal in high school and it took him to Stanford. He believed academic excellence was just as important as excellence on the field. It's served him well. It's more than a little sad that such a view is considered out of the ordinary. Despite being pretty annoying most of the time, Richard Sherman is doing some excellent work. On and off the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment