Tuesday, November 20, 2012

No Reed

I was surprised to hear that the NFL suspended Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed for one game for being too physical. Unless he successfully appeals, he will sit out Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers. I was surprised because I've never thought of Reed as one to inflict excessive violence. I've never thought of him as an headhunter. Reed was penalized for unnecessary roughness in the Sunday night game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on a hit to the head of receiver Emmanuel Sanders. The NFL found that to be the capper on a run of vicious hits by Reed. I don't get it. Apparently this is his third hit on a defenseless player in the last three years. While the league is doing the right thing in trying to limit helmet-to-helmet hits specifically and unnecessary hits in general, three questionable hits in three years just doesn't strike me as excessive. In the case of Reed those hits can be as much a result of the speed of the game as intent. I would have guessed that a safety like Brandon Merriweather would earn a suspension long before Reed. Many of Merriweather's are simply stupid. He's trying to injure. He lines up his hits. Reed is trying to play football and bring the ball carrier to the ground. I'd suspend Merriweather for being an idiot before suspending Reed for playing football. The fines, in the $20,000+ territory, have gotten steep and they rarely seem consistent. One hit passes the NFL fine judges. Another doesn't. From every angle they look the same. Consistency is my biggest issue with the penalties and the fines. This suspension of Ed Reed looks more like the NFL making a statement rather than applying justice. Free Ed Reed!

No comments:

Post a Comment