Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Say It Ain't So

Barring any sudden change of heart, Peyton Manning's Indianapolis Colts career is coming to an end. It's just not right. I should have been better prepared. The complete turnover of the Colts front office and coaching staff was a pretty good sign of things to come. It wasn't so much that I didn't expect this to happen. I just didn't want it to happen. I hate seeing players so connected to a franchise leave that franchise. I should be numb to it by now because it happens all the time. Paul Krause is the only Minnesota Vikings Hall of Famer to retire as a Viking. Fran Tarkenton did too but he spent a five year chunk in the middle of his career with the New York Giants. Chris Doleman took his pass rushing ways to the Falcons and 49ers before returning home to the Vikings. Seeing Alan Page close out his amazing career with the Chicago Bears was the most painful of all. I know exactly how many Packers fans felt watching Brett Favre lead the Vikings. No matter how many times it happens I hate seeing players fade into retirement with a team they do not belong.

In my opinion, Colts owner Jim Irsay has been an ass throughout this drama. Perhaps it's best for Manning to take his passing to another team. The Colts are no longer the team he knew. Wherever Manning goes I hope that it's a team that's able to compete right away. Manning can make most teams competitive just by entering the huddle. He doesn't need much. I just hope that he inherits a line that can provide some protection.

I really look forward to seeing Peyton Manning back on the football field. It'll be strange to see him without that horseshoe on his helmet. Johnny Unitas retired as a Charger.

No comments:

Post a Comment