Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fan Perspective

A San Diego Chargers fan ventured over to a Minnesota Vikings message board the other day. That sounds like the start of a really stupid joke. Anyway, this Chargers fan was responding to a comment about San Diego free agent receiver Malcolm Floyd being mediocre. He was saying that a Vikings fan calling Floyd mediocre is like a Chargers fan calling Minnesota defensive end Brian Robison mediocre. I thought that it was a pretty accurate observation. Since Robison has never played more than a third of the defensive snaps in a season, most people outside of Minnesota know little about him. Good things for the Vikings tend to happen when Robison is on the field. Most Vikings fans know this and is why few Vikings fans are worried about the inevitable departure of Ray Edwards in free agency. It also takes a Chargers fans to really know the skills of Malcolm Floyd. I often visit other teams message boards to gain insight on particular players on those teams. I'm also sometimes curious as to how other teams fans view the Vikings. I form my own opinions on other teams. I assume those guys do the same. I rarely use the media as a base for my opinions because they too often prove to know little. The Detroit Lions, for instance, are starting to scare the hell out of me. GM Martin Mayhew has quickly turned that franchise around following the mess that Matt Millen left. If QB Matthew Stafford can ever stay healthy, this team could be dynamite. Chicago is a puzzle. I wouldn't take any player from that offense, and only Julius Peppers and Lance Briggs from the defense. Devin Hester too. That team of fools is ready for a fall. Last place in the North.

I've always enjoyed football conversations with fans of other teams. I've never really been too thrilled with trash talking. It always seems like a waste of time. I prefer the calm, rational type of discourse. I'd still like to know why that Chargers fan was lurking around. Could he be interested in what we thought of Ray Edwards? He's a strong base end. I can see Edwards fitting in with the Chargers defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment